Whew! It’s been a while since I posted a recipe! It’s been a busy couple of months with our big move to Louisville, Kentucky. We are here now, getting settled, and getting back into the kitchen to make some new recipes. I couldn’t be more excited!
We’re in an interesting spot when it comes to food. John and I started the Dave Ramsey financial plan a few weeks ago to knock out my student loans as quickly as possible. We are living on a very tight food budget right now, but we’re seeing it as a challenge… how can we eat well, and healthily, while keeping to our budget? For the next few months, any recipes might be a little different than what you’re used to. We were wasting a lot of food in the past and we want to be a lot more deliberate in planning and cooking our meals.
One of the first recipes we threw together was an immediate hit. Pasta dishes tend to be pretty cheap, so I dressed it up a little with some special ingredients: bacon, peas, and shredded brussels sprouts. Simple, filling, and good!
- 3/4 box of pasta- we used rotini
- 6 ounces gouda, shredded
- 1/4 cup mozzarella, shredded
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 small jar Pesto Genovese (Barilla)
- 3/4 cup frozen peas
- 3 oz shredded brussels sprouts
- 6 slices of thick bacon, crumbled
- Cook pasta according to the directions on box
- In a small saucepan on medium heat, combine gouda, mozzarella, milk, olive oil, and pesto and stir until smooth
- Cook peas according to directions
- Cook bacon in a pan until crispy, then crumble
- Combine pasta, sauce, peas, bacon, and brussels sprouts and heat on stove just until sprouts are heated through
Do you follow the Dave Ramsey plan? Let me know how you plan your meals!